The Groesbeck's

The Groesbeck's

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Why can't more men be like this?

When it comes to being a gentleman, Garrett seems almost annoyingly flawless. Here are some examples of how he is this way--from the obvious to the not so obvious...
1. He will ALWAYS get my door--WITHOUT FAIL! Even if I happen to get to the door before he does and start to open it, he will come up behind me and shut it only to re-open it for me.
2. He will always pull the chair out for me when I go to sit down before he himself sits down.
3. I make Garrett go running with me as frequently as possible. I love the company. I also love to run on the street--Garrett has made it clear that he is the one who should run on the outside and me on the inside because according to him, "If someone happens to get hit by a car, it better be him!" He does not let me run on the side closer to the cars.
4. He won't let me pay for ANYTHING. It drives me CRAZY! I just have to surprise him with things to say thank you--or get really mad. Either one works.
5. He is willing to get in a full on fist fight for anyone that says something negative about me.
6. I'm first with everything--out the doors, first bite of a meal we will share, first one in the car etc.
7. HE ACTUALLY MEANS WHAT HE SAYS!
8. He is quick to say sorry--sometimes to things that aren't even his fault (which really ticks me off--it usually ends in me getting upset that he is taking blame for things that are my fault).
9. We were at my work the other night before going to a concert in the tabernacle on Temple Square. We both needed to use the restroom and as we were walking to them, we passed one of my supervisors (who I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!!--he is a Hispanic man probably in his mid to late 30's) who was eating. After I came out, I was talking with him and H told me that when we walked by Garrett told him, "Wow, doesn't she look beautiful tonight!" I didn't believe him, and then asked Garrett later. It took a little fishing, but finally he admitted to telling H that. Cute.
10. He usually doesn't use his phone with me unless he has to.

**So here is the question? Why do I get so bugged that he seems so perfect? Is it because I feel that I can't match it? These past few days I have realized that I need to appreciate it more. As I have been thinking this, I have realized more and more how special he is. He is more respectful of me than anyone I know. But still...sometimes I get annoyed when I should just be grateful to have someone who cares for me enough to respect me the way he does. I swear...dating can be wonderful, but it can also be the pits!

5 comments:

Casee said...

It is a blessing to have someone who cares for you deeply enough to do those things for you. Matt is exactly the same way, he is a gentleman all the time... he mirrors Garrett in all of the same ways and I so enjoy it and relish in it, but I think there was a time that I didn't. I think you may feel that way because you just want him to relax a bit. Not so much that chivalry dies and he no longer opens your door and tells you are beautiful, but maybe just let you pay for things every now and again, etc... Anyway, that is my two cents, I hope you figure it out and are able to enjoy all he does for you!

Casee said...

p.s. Love the pic!

Messimoo said...

Are you feeling overwhelmed, about the possibilities, if there are any? I remember when N and I started dating he was the same way. At first I liked it, then I didn't because I was afraid it might mean too much but then when I realized what I really wanted, I was fine with it. Does that make any sense? He sounds wonderful, but only you can decide if that wonderful is for you.

Elizabeth said...

I love what Jessica said ("only you can decide if that wonderful is for you"). Nicely put. I think you deserve to be treated with that level of respect and love, and I'm glad that he treats you that way. And what you said is awesome...I think it's all about appreciating it and finding ways to let him know that you appreciate it. I agree with Casee that the picture is really cute.

Me said...

heres my thoughts for what its worth :) i have a friend that dates every bad guy out there, and when an occasion arises that she meets a "gentleman", she doesn't know what to do, and actually doesn't like it. I tried telling her that she deserves it and to be grateful for those times. I wish she could meet someone like garrett, because every girl deserves it. I think that once the relationship "moves up a level" the constant acts of kindness and gentlemanliness will decrease slightly. I don't know. the older i get the more i realize i don't know, ya know?? hope it goes good though