The Groesbeck's

The Groesbeck's

Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Best Friend I Ever Had



I have been thinking a lot about the person who has been my best friend for the past 5 years. Garrett and I met when I was a freshman in high school and have been best friends since. He has been such a blessing in my life. When I was younger, I never felt understood by anyone. Although I felt like no one else could relate to me, I always knew Garrett would understand me. He helped me through so many personal struggles. He was there to hold my hand through it all. He struggled too. He has endured many more trials then I could have ever imagined. I tried to do all that he did for me. It's funny--I wouldn't ever think that a pair of high school kids could get so close. We did. He has made me smile when the world seemed so dark. He cried with me when I struggled. He calmed me when I was upset. He dropped everything to help me out. He let himself open up his heart to me. He laughed with me over pointless things. We explored life together. I feel as though I am rooted with him. He is a huge part of the person that I am. For a long time I wondered what made me so deserving of such a loving, caring and selfless friend. I'v realized that he was there for me to teach me about life. Everyone needs a friend--everyone needs someone to love them and care for them to be happy. He taught me a little bit about how Heavenly Father loves us. This song makes me think of Garrett whenever I hear it...

You've Got a Friend

When you're down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
And nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name,
And you know where ever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah baby
To see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
All you have to do is call
And Ill be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Youve got a friend.

If the sky above you
Should turn dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
And soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again.

Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you got to do is call
And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Hey, aint it good to know that youve got a friend?
People can be so cold.
They'll hurt you and desert you.
Well they'll take your soul if you let them.
Oh yeah, but dont you let them.
You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Oh babe, dont you know that,
Winter spring summer or fall,
Hey now, all youve got to do is call.
Lord, Ill be there, yes I will.
Youve got a friend.
Youve got a friend.
Aint it good to know youve got a friend.
Aint it good to know youve got a friend.
Youve got a friend.
James Taylor

I just wanted to say thank you to that person who has made the last five years of my life so great. I certainly have been blessed.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I had forgotten about that funny face that I love that makes me crack up (the 2nd pic you posted). This was a really sweet tribute (and you made me want to listen to the song, too). I am glad that you guys have been able to be part of each other's life, and so grateful for all that Garrett has done for you.

Unknown said...

It was nice to hear from you Christa. Where is Garrett anyway? You two are great! Hope all is well.

Messimoo said...

Hey Christa! I am so glad you have a friend like that. It's nice knowing someone is always there for you and has your back! :) You're grrreat!

Anonymous said...

Garrett is a lucky man to have had a friend like you!!! James Taylor is cool too!

Casee said...

What a beautiful tribute! I am glad that you have such a wonderful friend and he has such a wonderful friend in you, that is awesome! When is Garrett coming home?