The Groesbeck's

The Groesbeck's

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ooops...

I had quite the SCARE this morning. I had a math test at 9 am that I have been studying quite vigorously for. It is math for nursing and it was very critical that I do well. In fact, everyone had to get 85% or above on this test in order to progress in the nursing program. Thus, we were all stressing for this exam. Well, I went to bed last night at midnight and was planning to get up at 7:30 to get just a few more minutes of studying in before I headed to school. Well this morning I rolled over and looked over at the clock to find that it was already 10 am. My mind started to race trying to remember what day it was, and I realized that yes, it was Wednesday and yes, I had just slept through a test. I wasn't too lady like as I hurried out of bed. A few words slipped my mouth that usually aren't uttered by these lips. Good news: I made it to school within 8 minutes of waking up. I believe that is a record for me. I was informed later that I looked like death upon walking into class. I was also greeted with a round of a plause by good old friends in the class. Luckily, I walked in on a break and not during a lecture. I went and found my professor and explained to her that I must have not heard my alarm and blah blah blah... She was kind and let me take the exam still. I felt like an idiot to say the least. AND--I think I got 100%. They made the test pretty easy--it was just basic so that was quite relieving. That has been my day so far. Here is an example of a nursing math question. See if you can figure it out:

Question: The physician orders 200 mg of an antibiotic IM q.12h. The pharmacy sends a vial of antibiotic powder for reconstitution with the following mixing directions: "For IM injection, IV direct (bolus) injection, or IV infusion, add 2 mL sterile water for injection. Shake well. Provides an approximate concentration of 125 mg/mL." How many mL of the medication will the nurse give to the patient? (Calculating Drug Dosages: An Interactive Approach to Learning Nursing Math by Sandra Luz Martinez de Castillo and Maryanne Werner-McCullough)
Answer: 1.6 mL

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I like how you phrased the whole bit about saying some words "...not usually uttered by these lips."
I am SURE you didn't look like DEATH. Whatever. You are always lovely.
And 3. I've decided that they put a lot of unnecessary jargon sometimes in these math problems (like the one we looked at on Friday night where one whole sentence of information didn't really have anything to do with it).
You are the up and coming math whiz!!

Elizabeth said...

I beg your pardon...

Up and coming nothin'! I'm sure you'd smoke me right now!!

Casee said...

Oh, I hate it when things like that happen, especially when you worked so hard to do well. I am glad to hear that you were able to take the test and that you got 100%, that is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Messimoo said...

NICE! Gotta love those moments. Ummmm, yeah, that question went over my head....you lost me at the Doctor ordered. Maybe because my brain just doesn't like to even try. I love that they applauded you. That's great!

Christa said...

Yes...