The Groesbeck's

The Groesbeck's

Friday, September 28, 2007

Stress and no sleep? Not a good combo.

This week, I'm sorry to say, has kind of been a disaster. Let me tell you, I am SO SO SO SO glad that it is Friday which means I can finally RELAX! On Monday, today seemed like a century away. Let me walk you through my week.
MONDAY
The day started out when I got up at 7 to get ready for my class that was at 8:30 ( I tell you I hate these morning classes). I went to class and took a quiz--this is where the bad week started. I had studied for hours for this stupid 15 point quiz and I bombed it. Yep. So, there was the first wrong step. After class, it was pouring and I wanted to get to the other side of campus because I was going to drop a class (my history class that has been pure hell). I didn't want to get SOAKED in the rain, so I decided I would get the car and drive closer. Second wrong move. I drove around for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot and finally gave up and went home wishing I had taken the rainy route. I then came home and showered and got ready for the day, and then went back to school, found a parking spot and dropped my class. The whole process made me an hour late for work. I worked until 5. Afterwards, I had to run across the street to the hospital where I'm doing my clinical rotation to start on my clinical preps. Let me tell you how NOT excited I was for this. They usually take 10-12 hours to complete and I had to start at 5:30--they were due the next morning at 7. Why did I not start sooner you ask? Our patients get posted the day before our clinicals at 1 pm, but I was at work until 5 so I didn't have an option. SO...I was at the hospital until 10 that night JUST GATHERING THE INFORMATION I NEEDED. This means I still had to come home and put everything TOGETHER. I finally finished everything at 3:30 in the morning. What time did I have to get up on Tuesday? 5:30 am.
Tuesday and Wednesday
So I started Tuesday with two hours of sleep. I'm sure you can imagine what a happy/chipper person I was to deal with--poor Garrett. I got to the hospital by 6:45 am and started my day there. It was actually VERY interesting. I learned and saw a lot that day. I love when I see nasty stuff that totally grabs my attention (and by nasty I mean bloody or what other people would call "gross"). I saw some of that and.... I gave my first shot! It totally freaked me out. It went over OKAY I guess. I pulled a dumb move though when I stuck the poor man and realized that I had pulled the needle out before administering the medicine. Poor guy had to let me stick him again. He was really good about it though. I gave two more shots on Wednesday and those ones were PERFECT!! Anyways, clinicals were fine--besides the fact that my eyes were popping out of my head. I got home that day and had to finish my prep form and start studying for a mid-term on Thursday. I studied until about 1:30 that morning and went to bed to get up again at 5:30 am on Wednesday for clinicals again--4 hours of sleep. Clinicals were slow on Wednesday (and that is the absolute worst!!!), but like I said I got to give a couple of shots. That was about the most exciting thing of the day. I was supposed to go into work after that, but I called in sick because I was STRESSING about this mid-term that I had to take the next day... Tell me if you can explain this: We have 3 mid-terms in that class??? I don't understand. 3 mid-terms and a final??? BUT, that's not the point. The point is I had to study for mid-term #uno. So I went ahead and called in sick to work and came home to study. I got home and by this point I was so tired all I wanted to do was cry, but I wasn't even prepared at all for this test, and I was extremely worried that I would fail it. Garrett came over and gave me a blessing and I was really grateful for it. It helped me to calm down and actually focus. I studied until about 12:30 and then went to bed.
Thursday
By this point, I'm practically a zombie. I woke up at 6:00 am Thursday to get some extra studying in before the test--that gave me a whopping FIVE AND A HALF hours of sleep--the most I had gotten all week! I studied hard (although I admit I looked at a makeup site online for like 20 minutes) before I went to class. Before I went in to take my test I said a prayer asking that the questions would be simple in my mind--that I would not make them harder than they really were. I tell you--this works!!! Prayer works!!! I got in there to take my test with my pencil and my highlighter (to highlight all of the important info in the question) and I whizzed through that test. I left feeling pretty good--thinking that I got a B--and I was TOTALLY OKAY WITH THAT!!! A couple hours later I found out that I got a 90% and that made all this stress worthwhile. But, like I said, I contribute most of it to Heavenly Father for helping me. Thursday is my long day so it's not over yet. I had gerontology after that until 12, and then at 1 I had my theory class until 4. FINALLY, at four I went home and C-R-A-S-H-E-D!!!! Well, sort of. Garrett woke me up at 7 and we watched a movie and just relaxed, but then I really crashed.
Friday
Today has been so so nice! I have been able to finally relax and I'm planning on being TOTALLY LAZY TONIGHT!!!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You weren't kidding when you said that you were glad that it was the weekend! You poor girl! I hope the weekend helps and you get the relaxation that you need! School can be so stressful! Good luck christa!

Elizabeth said...

Um...whoa.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

(Think Farley Family Reunion.)

I so admire your hard work and dedication to your program. You are going to be a brilliant, lovely nurse one day and everyone will want YOU to be their nurse.

I have to also say that I loved your parenthetical comments throughout the post where you inserted your own opinion throughout. (I tell you I hate these morning classes.) :)

xo

p.s. Congrats on the 90%! I would have been stoked!!

Anonymous said...

well honey, i am also glad that the week is over. WOW i really am, i don't like seeing you stressed out and not happy, it makes me sad to see you that way. i love you and im glad that the blessing helped too!!! thanks for letting me give it to you!! love you!

Casee said...

Wow, what a crazy week! I am SO impressed that you pushed through all of that... I don't think I could have done it. And way to go on saying your prayers and asking for a blessing, they really do work... if you ask for them! Good job Christa, you are awesome!