The Groesbeck's

The Groesbeck's

Friday, September 07, 2007

*Passion for Sweat*

It is time that I write about something that I absolutely LOVE...teaching indoor cycling classes. I've been an instructor for 18 months and it has been one of the greatest experiences. To me, there are few things better than sharing my love of working out with other people. I have been thinking a lot about what I do as a cycling instructor lately. We are training new cycling instructors at the moment, so I have a piggy-backer in my classes watching every move and trying hard to take everything in so that he will be ready to teach in a month. It's been really interesting for me to watch him and realize that I was that person not too long ago. I remember being so scared to get up in front of a group of people and put them through a work out. What songs would I use that day? What techniques? Is the music too loud? Uh oh...I don't know the answer to that question... Now, it is a breeze. Well, a breeze to teach, maybe not so much to go through the work out. That's another thing I love about it--I STILL GET A MAJOR WORK OUT. I think I sweat more than anyone. I'm usually the one with the puddle of sweat under my bike. It has just been interesting for me to see how much I have progressed and how much better of an instructor the experiences have made me. I love getting to know people. I love it when new participants come, and I can see the nervousness in their face because they have never done it before--and then I love seeing them leave with a changed face--a proud and determined one. They are proud because they came and made it through, and they are determined to come back and try it out again. That is probably one of the most rewarding things...to see how you have influenced someone--that they enjoyed your class and your workout that they want to come back again. So great!

BUT...probably one of the highlights for me is the music. I love turning the music up--it makes the class work harder. It makes us push and sweat and it gives energy. Music is one of the key motivators of the class. Here is my most recent cycling profile:

1) Indigo Girls: Hammer and Nail -- This is our warm up song.

2) KT Tunstall: Suddenly I See -- We work on coming in and out of the saddle and picking up cadence.

3) Coldplay: Don't Panic -- First small hill.

4) Vengaboys: Boom Boom Boom Boom -- Accelerations

5) Billy Joel: In the Middle of the Night -- Short steep hill climbs.

6) Skillet: The Older I Get -- Steep climb

7) Rodney Atkins: If You're Going Through Hell -- Downhill sprint

8) Death Cab For Cutie: Crooked Teeth -- Climb out of the saddle

9) Pussycat Dolls: Wait a Minute -- Jumps

10) UB40: Baby I Love Your Way -- Another climb

11) Del Amitri: Roll to Me --Another downhill sprint

12) Better Than Ezra: Juicy -- Last climb--HARD

13) Jimmy Eat World: Sweetness -- Paceline

14) Nickelback: Far Away -- Start cool down

15) Norah Jones: Sunrise -- Stretching

16) Lifehouse: Somewhere in Between -- Stretching

8 comments:

Geo said...

I could really use your class, Christa!

Elizabeth said...

I want to come to your class, too. Pretty sure you'd kill me. But I'd love it. :)

Messimoo said...

I wish I knew all those songs. I am soooooo not a song rememberer. I would love to come to your class though. I am sure it is amazing and I've always thought it looked like fun!

Casee said...

Ohhh.. I love that playlist! Can you make a copy for me?

I LOVE cycling class! It is so hard, but so amazing the whole way through (especially at the end!) I bet you are an amazing teacher, Liz and I should come up some time and do it together. You would probably kill me too!

Christa said...

Casee-- I would LOVE it if you guys came (not like I'm really expecting it but it would be super fun!) I love having new people there! I kill myself everytime so no worries :).

Anonymous said...

LETS RIDE!!! I think?

Anonymous said...

I pretty much have never heard of any of those songs but it sounds like a ton of fun!Like others have said, i could really use your class! too bad your in SLC! Come back to provo!

Becca said...

i want to come to your class!!