The Groesbeck's

The Groesbeck's

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oh the Joys of Work

Last night, Garrett and I were up late talking about work. I was on a roll talking about one of my work days this week. Not a great one. It's not like it was a horrible day where the worst scenarios were coming to me--I just continually felt like I was messing up on things, couldn't quite catch up on everything and I felt like I was asking so many questions--to the point where it was becoming annoying to others. Normally, I feel no shame in asking many questions because that is how I learn, but on a night like that night I just felt like a huge burden. I wanted to cry during my whole 12 hour shift. To top it off, I don't really feel like I have friends for support at this particular work place yet.

At the end of our conversation, I was realizing that this particular night is just going to be one building block of my work experience. I'm sure there are going to be many great shifts ahead, and I also know there will be many terrible shifts ahead (kind of scary to think about what those terrible shifts will bring). I was telling Garrett that I sometimes wish I could fast-forward five years and automatically have five years of working experience behind me so that I could say I'm experienced without going through the horrible experiences :). Sometimes I really do think that, especially on a night like the other night. I'm sure experience would have made that night a piece of cake for me. At the same time, I'm sure I wouldn't feel proud of my "work experience" if I hadn't actually gone through the cruddy learning process.

Mostly, I love my job. I really do. I have the job that I have always wanted, and it brings me so much satisfaction. For that, I need to be thankful. Whining and complaining about certain shifts just makes me realize in the end how much I have to be thankful for and how much I should appreciate these experiences because they will only make me better at what I do.

Not really sure where I'm going with this, but I just wanted to get it out there.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You're doing a great job, Chris.

I'd want you to be my nurse. ;)

Holly said...

Boo. That is no fun! Hopefully we can work together and help eachother out!