The Groesbeck's

The Groesbeck's

Friday, February 01, 2008

Attacking Schedule

I don't think I have ever felt stretched so thin before. The past two/three weeks have been some of the most difficult for me. I'm wondering why my schedule seems almost unbearable all of a sudden. I have always been good at handling a load of stress, but I haven't been so good at handling it this past week. This is probably just going to be a post of me complaining, so you can stop reading now if you would like...I just need to let it out. Let me give you my schedule:

Monday: I have school from 9-12 and then cycling from 12-1. Then, I'm usually at school for a few more hours to meet with other students for projects/assignments. Then, I'm off to the hospital to get information on the patient that I will be taking care of on Tuesday. I get my information and come home and work on getting my clinical prep form ready for the next morning--due by 7am. This, surprisingly, takes all night.

Tuesday: I have clinicals from 7am-2:30pm. I then get home at three and have a few hours to work on my clinical prep form that has to be all the way finished by Wednesday. This probably doesn't sound bad, but these forms are a beast. This is what I hate most about nursing school. I work on this form until I have to go to school again from 7:30-10:20 that night. I get home, and I'm too exhausted to talk to my husband. I sleep.

Wednesday: I wake up early to go over all of my prep information and am at the hospital by noon. I'm there until 7pm. When I get home, I decide that I need a break. This doesn't last for long though because the stress gets to me and I have to study some more.

Thursday: I finally get to sleep in a little. I am at school by noon and don't leave until 6 or 6:30. I come home and work on my clinical prep AGAIN because I have to turn the final draft in on Friday. We also have a process paper that we have to do. I am going to try and do mine next week--and that will also be due on the friday. This usually ends up being a 20+ page paper. I stay up until midnight trying to finish it.

Friday: I sleep in. When I get up, I hurry to finish everything that is due, and then I turn it in. When that is finished, I come home and sleep because I have to be at work that night at 7pm and work until 7am.

Saturday: I get home from work and I sleep during the day as much as possible to prepare me for the same shift I had the night before. I go to work again at 7.

Sunday: I get home from work and cannot sleep because I need to get ready to go to church. I go to church and come home and sleep. This is the only day for me to spend time with my husband, but I'm too tired. I sleep to get rejuvenated for the coming week and then it starts all over again.

This is how my week has been. Like I said, I have been good at dealing with this in the past, but I cannot seem to handle it very well right now. I think I have cried more these past two weeks than I ever have in a semester of nursing school--that's saying something because school has made me cry a lot. Just yesterday alone, I had about 4 crying episodes. This isn't me. I was up last night at midnight bawling because of all of the burden/weight I was feeling and was planning to stay up late doing homework. Garrett convinced me to just put it all away and go to sleep. I didn't want to, but I did and I'm glad I did. I needed the rest. I have about three more weeks of this schedule before I will see a little light. I probably don't make any sense. I feel that I'm just blabbering on and I'm sorry. I'm just wondering if any of you have felt so overwhelmed that you honestly felt you couldn't handle one more day of it. I feel that I'm at that point, and I need some suggestions on how to keep myself relaxed and motivated to do this for a few more weeks.
I feel pooped.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Good Luck!

Casee said...

It sounds so overwhelming. I think you have every right to feel stressed out. I have gone through times when I feel like I really can't go one more day, or I can't take one more thing on. And usually the best fix for me, is to talk about (with Matt), cry a little, get some rest and then from there hit everything straight on. It sounds like you are doing great and I know that you will get through this and soon it will all be over. Take luck!

Becca said...

Sounds like a totally overwhelming schedule to me. I'm glad that at least you have the promise of a different schedule in a few weeks. I always cry and sleep in the face of stuff like that too. We'll be praying for you.

mary.katherine said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! That is a WAY crazy schedule! I'm so sorry. Just think though, when you finish soon you will be a nurse and only have to work at most, three days a week! How nice is that going to be? I hope things have calmed down a little bit and you are getting to spend more time with Garrett.

Elizabeth said...

YUCK.

Crying and sleeping are good for me, too. :) (Ches.)

I am sorry that it has been so hard. I can't imagine. I will pray for you.

But I also know you can do it. You are super woman. My hero. My ches! My chocolate bear (ches!).

Ches!!! You can do it!

xo